HUMN 303 Principles of Management Complete Course
Week 1 DQ 1
What is the value of studying the humanities in a business or technical curriculum? How might a topic such as ancient art enhance contemporary life?
Week 1 DQ 2
Choose a work of art from the reading in Chapter 1. Discuss how the work is a reflection of the ancient culture that created it. Also, did anything particularly surprise or impress you about the work of art or the ancient people who created it?
Week 2 DQ 1
The architecture of the Greeks and Romans has influenced people for centuries. When the founding fathers of America began to design Washington, DC, how were they influenced by the Greeks and Romans?
Week 2 DQ 2
Ancient peoples were often much more advanced than modern people understand. Choose one example of a Greek or Roman advancement that improved their societies. How did this advancement affect the culture of the Greeks or Romans? Has this advancement evolved and is it in use, in some capacity, in the modern world?
Week 2 Assignment:
HUMN 303 Week 2 Course Project
Week 3 DQ 1
In this thread, let’s discuss the power and limitations of theatrical imagination. Please feel free to draw from productions you have seen. (The old high school productions count, too!) Why are we willing to suspend disbelief when we see a play, yet we demand so much more from a film production? Do you think that the limitation on special effects and alternative demand on the audience member to suspend disbelief is a weakness or a strength of the theatrical experience? Would you rather see The Tempest on stage or in film? Why?
Week 3 DQ 2
This week, we have looked at several works of art that utilized allegorical themes. One of the most common uses of imagery in the medieval and Renaissance periods is allegory. What is an allegory? Describe how at least one of the examples of art in this week’s lecture or one of this week’s readings is allegorical in nature. Why, in your opinion, was allegory so prevalent during these periods? Is it still important in contemporary literature? Why or why not?
Week 4 DQ 1
Line, color, hue, balance, form and perspective were some of the key concepts covered in this week’s tutorial. Use the example of a painting by Peter Paul Rubens and discuss how one or more of this week’s key concepts are featured in the painting.
Identify the painting by title, and include citations for any material you’ve researched.
Week 4 DQ 2
Given the information from this week’s reading on the Enlightenment, the New Rationalism, and the Scientific Revolution, how did advancements in science and reasoning change the lives of people at this time? In addition, what effects did the Industrial Revolution have on the world?
Week 4 Assignment
HUMN 303 Week 4 Annotated Biblography Course Project
Week 5 DQ 1
In the 19th century, the camera was a revolutionary invention. Did the invention of the camera change the arts? Why or why not?Is there a relationship between movements such as realism and impressionism and the camera?
Week 5 DQ 2
For this week’s discussion, choose realism or impressionism as a basis for your posts and discuss how your choice is manifested in any area of the humanities (i.e., painting, sculpture, literature, music, etc.), and give an example from any discipline in the humanities to illustrate how realism or impressionism influenced the work of art. Please be sure to give an analysis of how the work of art was influenced by the movement.
Week 6 DQ 1
This week, we looked at several examples of early modernist art such as Cubism, Fauvism, futurism, and expressionism. Let’s discuss the relationships between these aesthetic categories and the sociopolitical climate of the period.How did the sociopolitical climate of the time period, including the two world wars, influence artists?
Week 6 DQ 2
In your first post, share what you see the main themes or issues that were important the writer of at least one of the following feminist works:
The Outside by Susan Glaspell (audio available in the lecture)
A Society by Virginia Woolf
The Solitude of Self by Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Be sure to reference the specific elements of at least one of the readings or audio in your response. We’ll follow up as a class to connect these historical issues to present-day discussions of women and society.
Week 7 DQ 1
Although controversial art is not a topic exclusive to the 20th century, the distribution of information regarding controversial art has increased with the proliferation of media. Please discuss an example of a 20th century controversial work of art from any discipline of the humanities (music, literature, sculpture, film, etc.) and an accompanying statement from the artist(s). Based on your example, to what extent does controversial art make a social contribution? Are governments ever justified in censoring art?
Week 7 DQ 2
What were some of the influences of the pop art phenomenon? Should we consider the creative elements of popular culture, which are very often mass produced works of art?
Week 7 Assignment:
HUMN 303 Week 7 Course Project
Week 8 Assignment:
HUMN 303 Week 8 Humanity Final Paper
HUMN 303 Final Exam
1. (TCO 1) Which of the following ancient structures is a citadel city that depended on cyclopean masonry for its construction and was entered through a massive Lion Gate? (Points : 5)
2. (TCO 2) Which of the following rivers is associated with the city of Rome? (Points : 5)
3. (TCO 5) According to an ancient legend, who created the first Celtic cross by making the mark of a Latin cross through the circle on an ancient standing stone monument? (Points : 5)
4. (TCO 5) Who is credited for having coined the term platonic love? (Points : 5)
5. (TCO 1) Who was known as the Sun King? (Points : 5)
6. (TCO 2) During the early 18th century, which of the following areas was most closely associated with London’s very poor? (Points : 5)
7. (TCO 1) Who is associated with such characters as Robinson Crusoe, Moll Flanders, Colonel Jack, and Roxanna? (Points : 5)
8. (TCO 1) In which of the following literary pieces does Simon Legree play a significant role? (Points : 5)
9. (TCO 5) Who wrote Remembrance of Things Past? (Points : 5)
10. (TC0 5) Who designed the headquarters for the Chinese Central Television in conjunction with the 2008 Beijing Olympics? (Points : 5)
Discuss at least three ways in which Henry David Thoreau proved himself a nonconformist. Also, discuss one of Thoreau’s works and how it reflects his nonconformist attitude
Based on your hearing or reading of The Outside by Susan Glaspell, explain how the playwright uses the male characters of the play to reveal feminist themes. How do these men further Glaspell’s feminist message?
Given the modernist paintings we have studied (including Cubism, Fauvism, and expressionism), evaluate what distinguishes the modernist period from periods that came before. Use at least two examples of art we have studied in this course as the basis of your analysis
1. (TCO 1) Which of the following Greek terms can be translated as circle? (Points : 5)
2. (TCO 2) Who was the Roman rhetorician who recognized the power of the Latin language to communicate with the people? (Points : 5)
3. (TCO 5) Which of the following terms refers to an almond-shaped oval of light signifying divinity, imported from the Far East through Byzantium and commonly used by Romanesque artists? (Points : 5)
4. (TCO 5) Which of the following was considered the most pre-eminent Italian city-state in the 15th century? (Points : 5)
5. (TCO 1) Who was known as the Sun King? (Points : 5)
6. (TCO 2) Who is the author of Essay on Human Understanding, which contends that people are perfectly capable of governing themselves? (Points : 5)
7. (TCO 1) Who served as captain of the Endeavor as it sailed for the South Pacific in 1768? (Points : 5)
8. (TCO 1) Which of the following authors is most closely associated with Lambert Strether, a key character in The Ambassadors?
9. (TCO 5) Which of the following paintings is considered something of a rebuttal to Pablo Picasso’s Demoiselles d’Avignon? (Points : 5)
10. (TCO 5) Which of the following led the forces that defeated the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War (that continued from 1936 to 1939), and then ruled Spain in a totalitarian manner until 1975? (Points : 5)