Any corrections textbook you read will discuss what is termed special offender populations, which include sex offenders, the mentally ill, the elderly, and women.
Regardless of the causes, you learned in the unit readings that female offenders have unique needs. These needs can vary from specialized health care, custody issues, substance abuse, or mental health responses. Female inmates are more likely than male prisoners to have substance abuse issues, and depression is the most commonly diagnosed disorder among female inmates.
In the last 30 years, the number of women offenders has risen dramatically. According to your course text, female incarceration rates rose 757 percent between 1977 and 2004. This alarming spike is not attributable to an increase of violence or criminal behavior in women; low-income, minority women are disproportionately swept into a web of correctional remedies driven by widespread public-policy changes.
In your capacity as a correctional counselor, you have been asked by your supervisor to conduct a presentation to coworkers and staff on women offenders at River Valley State Womenâ€s Prison based on an inmate counseling session. To prepare for this presentation, review the Riverbend City: Individual Therapy in Prison simulation (linked in Resources) and focus on the Individual Counseling Session tab.
This assignment is a PowerPoint presentation suitable for presentation to the correctional staff.
Prepare a 6â€“12 slide PowerPoint overview of female offenders and correctional counseling appropriate for corrections professionals.
- Compare the intervention needs of female and male offenders.
- Explain why addiction treatment for female offenders should be approached differently from that for male offenders.
- Explain how counselors screen for trauma in an assessment.
- Identify the primary needs of an offender during an assessment.
- Describe the techniques counselors use to help motivate an offender toward change.
- Recommend a gender-responsive intervention program for a female offender.
- Ensure that your written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Cite at least three scholarly references.
- APA formatting: Include a references slide at the end of your presentation that includes properly cited scholarly references in current APA format.
- Communicate in a manner that is expected of correctional counseling professionals.
PowerPoint Presentation Design Tips
Refer to Guidelines for Effective PowerPoint presentations [PPTX] (linked in Resources) for additional tips.
Being able to effectively address any audience is a necessary skill for correctional counselors. Remember that you are the speaker, not a projectionist. Your purpose is not to present a slide show; your audience is there to listen to what you have to say. Design your presentation slides to complement and reinforce your message and engage your listeners.
- Use a professional presentation template or create one of your own to ensure consistency of visuals and smooth transitions.
- Ensure that each slide provides sufficient visual contrast for your text and graphics. If you use a dark background, use light type and graphics, and vice versa.
- Consider your intended audience and how best to communicate with them.
- Focus on the content of your presentation and the development of your key points. Remember that your purpose is to provide a better understanding of the unique needs of women offenders.
- Create slides that support your presentation; they should not be your presentation.
- Presentation slides are a visual medium. Images are more effective than text at engaging your audience. But you should use images and graphics only they facilitate understanding or reinforce key points.
- Use speaker’s notes to record the details you want to communicate to your audience (optional for this assignment).
- Avoid flashy slide transitions and animations and use consistent transitions throughout the presentation.
- Add a slide to the end of your presentation to prompt questions from the audience (optional for this assignment).
- Proofread your slides to minimize errors that could distract the audience and make it difficult to focus on the substance of your presentation.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post treating female offenders 1 appeared first on The Nursing Hub.
"Are you looking for this answer? We can Help click Order Now"